Join Jeff's Mailing List!



Jeff Tuohy

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Experimental Laptop Art, Packs of Dogs, and Broadway

SOUTHBURY, CT

My computer plummeted off the subwoofer of our entertainment system on the bus. Every time I use it, I peer around and through four black streaks on the screen. It looks like a Pollock painting. Hopefully it won’t cost as much as a Pollock to repair.

When I last wrote I was in Miami gazing upon beautiful Latina women and sipping an iced chai. Now I am in the Southbury Public Library surrounded by citizens of Heritage Village who are learning to use the Internet and playing cribbage. Talk about culture shock.

The remainder of our tour was phenomenal. The band and I are thrilled we are able to play for such diverse crowds and still be received with genuine enthusiasm. While in South Beach we supported an awesome Latin/Reggae band named Xperimento at Jazid. I was a bit uneasy prior to our performance since it was our first time playing for this demographic. Hindsight being 20-20, there was nothing to be nervous about. Daniel, the owner of Jazid made a valid point, and one that every musician loves to hear: “Good music is good music. It doesn’t matter what the crowd is.” If ever in South Beach, I recommend you skip the clubs that make it seem like they’re doing you a favor by letting you in, and leave a line around the corner when there are only 15 people in their club; head to Jazid (21+). They don’t worry about image or which band will bring the most people. You can always count on a good hang and great music when you enter their establishment. It’s a shame more clubs don’t operate that way.

The shows at Boar’s Head in Athens and Prince Deli in Knoxville were a lot of fun as well, especially considering UGA was about to hold their commencement the next day. I’d love to chronicle the night, but to be honest; I don’t remember a whole lot of it. That Friday was Bryan’s (tour manager) birthday. The band killed a pint of Jack and a case of Summer Ale before we even got to the show (reminder: we have a drive who drives the bus). I recall the entire show including inviting the owner of the club up to perform “No Woman, No Cry” in which Floyd, Omer, and I switched instruments. (Floyd jumped on drums, Omer on bass, and me on keys.) I remember some very supportive fans traveling 2 ½ hours to see our show. After we packed up and said our goodnights, the evening gets patchy. While at the after-party at our friend Shannon’s, we tapped into a bunch of what seemed like homemade booze. She had to agree to dog-sit three dogs as well. There were already two dogs in the apartment: Bella-a mutt (maybe part Shepard?), and Isabel (my overly enthusiastic, super-charged Pit Bull). A fully-grown Doberman pinscher, Dalmatian, and Golden retriever puppy were added to the mix. Her home reminded me of the turkey scene in A Christmas Story.

Prince Deli in Knoxville and our shows in St. Louis were great as usual. These are two scenes that have been extremely supportive of us from the beginning. We’ll keep going back to these cities over and over again. No crazy stories. Just a $330 vet bill since Izzy picked up some sort of sickness in Athens. Her doctor visits cost more than mine.

Now that we’re home, I’ve been working 12-hour days on the album and putting together two BIG tours coming up in the fall. One is going to be soooooo insane! I really wish I could spill the $*@!^#* details, but I’ll contain myself (for once). Yesterday, a bunch of friends of mine laid down some background vocals in NYC. Two of them have “done time” on Broadway in shows including Cabaret, Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray and more. My theatre agent, Kevin and friend Marissa Perry came by the studio to hang out while we were working on “Sit Tight.” Danny (producer) and I got $45 haircuts (ridiculous. I feel bad for you ladies.), and then headed to see Marissa starring as Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray. Go see her if you get the chance. She was wonderful!

That’s all for now. Heading out for a run before going to my childhood friend, Mike’s stag. Sure that should yield a story or two…

As always, thanks for reading. Sorry to be so short, I just need to do something healthy before abusing my body later this evening. Hope you enjoy the clip of “Train” below. It was recorded during a radio interview on KDHX FM in St. Louis.


-Jeff

No comments: